FESTIVAL OF THE TARTANS – NEW GLASGOW HIGHLAND GAMES
Saturday, July 20, 2019
Scott W. Weeks Sports Complex Field – New Location!
234 Park Street, New Glasgow, NS
Competition # C-NS-CO-19-1007
ELIZABETH MCCORKELL, NS
KELLY MONSON, ON
PLEASE NOTE REGISTRATION TIMES:
Primary @ 8:00am; Beginner/Novice @ 8:30am;
Intermediate/Premier @ 11:00am
Registration Time - 8:00am / Competition Start - 8:30am
Beginner & Novice - Special Event - Festival Fling (4)
Non-competitive - Demonstration Events (16 pas de Basques & Fling (4))
Registration Time - 8:30am / Competition Start - 9:00am
Primary - 16 Pas de Bas, Pas de Bas & Highcuts, Fling (4), Sword (2&1)
Beginner - Fling (4), Sword (2&1), Lilt (4), Flora (4)
Novice - Fling (4), Sword (2&1), Lilt (4), Flora (4)
Registration Time - 11:00am / Competition Start - 11:30am
Intermediate - Special Event - Festival Fling (4)
Registration Time - 1:00pm / Competition Start - 1:30pm
Intermediate - Special Event - Festival Fling (4)
Premier - Earl of Errol (4), Village Maid (4), Blue Bonnets (4), Irish Jig (4)
Premier - Special Event - The Fleur Mainville Solo Choreography Celebration
All non-competitive dancers are invited to practice what it’s like to dance in a competition. Dancers may dance the 16 Pas de Basques or the Highland Fling (4). Dancers will be presented a certificate for their participation. Dancers may perform in a white or black shirt, white knee socks with black shorts or a kiltie, and black shoes (ghillies or ballet style). We would like dancers to be at the venue for 8:00 am. We will have them perform immediately after the Beginner & Novice Festival Fling. Please register online through the below link (free to enter).
The Festival Fling:
Beginner, Novice, and Intermediate dancers are invited to participate in this special event fling (4 steps). Registration is $10 and groups will be made based on the number of registrants.
The Fleur Mainville Solo Choreography Celebration:
A solo set-piece choreography event for Premiers danced to a song played by the late Fleur Mainville, a talented Pictou County fiddler who touched the hearts of many with her music. The set song will be emailed to you upon registration ($10 registration fee). Be creative, have fun, and let the music guide you!
OPENING CEREMONIES FOR THE FESTIVAL OF THE TARTANS WILL BEGIN AT 1:00PM DANCING WILL CONTINUE AFTER THE OPENING CEREMONIES AT APPROXIMATELY 1:30PM
ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY:
Deadline for entries is July 5. Change in categories may be e-mailed to [email protected] by July 15, 2019. After submitting the form, please send e-transfer within 24 hours to [email protected] using password 'highland' and dancer's name in the message. All category changes may also be emailed to the same email no later than July 15th, 2019. Dancers are not considered registered until both this form is submitted and the e-transfer is received. LATE ENTRIES MAY BE ACCEPTED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE FESTIVAL.
Registration Fees (includes $4 SDNS Fee & $1 SDCCS Surcharge): Demonstration Event: Free Special Events: $10/dancer Primary: $21 for 1-2 dances or $31 for 3-4 dances Beginner, Novice, Intermediate, Premier: $31
Online Entry Link: https://forms.gle/ihx18h712cfF4NKVA
Festival of the Tartans – New Glasgow Highland Games Competition Rules:
1. Late entries may be accepted at the discretion of the Festival.
2. “Dancers must comply with the SOBHD Code of Conduct. Failure to do so will result in the dancer being reported to the SOBHD.”
3. First to enter, last to dance.
4. Medals and trophies will be awarded in all categories except primary where no trophy is awarded.
5. Dancers must report to dance area when their class is called or risk disqualification from that dance.
6. Dancers must be in full dress to receive awards (including ghillies).
7. Age as of date of competition (July 20th, 2019).
8. Age categories will be based on number of registrations in each classification.
9. Scrutineering shall be conducted as recommended by SOBHD. Dancers will be judged according to the technique of the SOBHD. Judges decisions will be final and there will be no access to the judge’s sheets.
10. Any protest must be lodged in writing and postmarked within 7 days, accompanied by a fee of $25 which will be returned if the protest is upheld.
11. The Festival of the Tartans will not be responsible or liable for lost articles, accidents, injuries or illness to competitors or spectators.
12. No coaching by teachers or parents while dancers are on stage. Only those teachers and parents working to line up dancers are permitted in the line up area.
13. No refunds after entries received.
14. Designated changing areas will be provided. There is to be no changing in public areas nor will dancers be permitted to be in public areas wearing bra tops or sports bras with dickies.
15. Special events are separate from the regular competition set of dances. They are not included in the High Aggregate calculation.
Fleur Mainville Solo Choreography Celebration Rules:
1. Open to Premier dancers only.
2. Rules are as per SOBHD Constitution and Rules for Choreography.
3. Choreography competitors must possess a current SOBHD registration card.
4. Dance registration cards validated at registration desk on day of competition.
5. Choreography competitors must enter in their respective regular competition to enter choreography.
6. Dance will be performed to pre-determined music. Music will be emailed upon registration and payment.
Fleur Mainville Premier Dancer of the Day Awarded to the Premier dancer with the highest points. (6 dancers minimum in the group. Excludes special events.)
Directions to Scott W. Weeks Sports Complex Field (234 Park St): Take Exit 25 to New Glasgow.
Coming from Cape Breton, go right off the exit ramp toward New Glasgow. Coming from Truro/Halifax, go left off the exit ramp. Once off the highway continue on the road & up the hill. Turn right onto Park Street at the set of lights by Shoppers Drug Mart. Continue straight. Turn left into a parking lot beside a large track field area after you see the Police Station on the right. Additional nearby parking will be available as guided. The highland dance stage will be on the side closest to the street. In the event of continuous heavy rain, the competition will be moved to the North Nova Education Centre on the same street.